9.06.2011

3 years as the "Mrs".

06.09.08
3 years ago I married my Ben.  Time is such a funny thing, and "3" seems like such a small number to hold so much love.memories.craziness.changes... 
I thought I'd take you on a quick tour of our wonderful woodland wedding - it was seriously the best day of my life!
Aw, we were so young! heh... bare-faced Ben looking all cute.  I still adore that dress.. my fantastic friend went with the vision/design/pattern I drew up... and made it amazing!
We got married out in a big field (hope valley day camp) with beautiful rolling hills and tumultuous clouds around us.

A baseball backstop was transformed into a Moroccan lounge of hanging fabrics and a stained glass window... Japanese lanterns hung down from the tents everyone sat under.
This was one of my favourite 'gag' moments where I accidentally tied Ben's ring in a knot - instead of undoing it from the ring pillows I had sewn! 

We planted a tree.. Ben dug, I watered.. going along with the tree theme of our wedding.

Oh my goodness the food!  Amazing friends presented a gorgeous feast of Asian/Thai dishes... with mouth watering desserts.... and my design of a 'woodland wedding cake' with mini-creature cupcakes for all.
And yes, the chunk of Amber stone on my finger is my engagement/wedding band - Ben knows me well. :o) 

This one day was such a beautiful start to many more wonderful days with my guy Ben.  We managed to pull off a wedding on a shoestring budget due to the incredible help of so many crazy talented friends (who sew, cook, bake, decorate, film, pitch in!).  Thank you again to all you special people in our life!
My only moment of 'cold feet' that day was as we were driving to the wedding.... I was in the backseat and as we approached the turn off I told my parents to just 'keep driving'!  I wasn't worried about marrying Ben.. but about the huge crowd of over 250 guests we had crammed into the tent (and that was the extremely hacked list).  Call me an extroverted-introvert... but I was suddenly wishing for a small intimate setting.
Needless to say, I'm glad we took the turn-off.  The moment I saw Ben waiting at the front of the crowd full of loving faces... I was carried in a stupor of pure joy for the rest of the day ( I know... MUSH!)... but true.

I love you Ben, and thanks for loving me the way you do.
I want the rest of our lifetime to keep learning you more.
Our wedding verse:
“But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
whose confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.” 
Jeremiah 17:7,8

3 years blessed,
Mel ;o)

7 comments:

  1. happy anniversary!  love that you guys planted a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your wedding looks so beautiful...very thoughtful and sweet!  i LOVE your dress...how magical!  this was so fun to read.,,you guys are seriously the cutest!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful mel, truly :)  it's my wish that when gabe and I re-new our vows to have a woodland wedding (we have to with a last name like wood you know ;)  ) we all are more the same every single day.  my gabe wore chuck talor's at our wedding too, such lucky gals we are to have these bread baking dude's!  <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe.. I was just WAITING for you to pipe up and say you have the 'same ring' or something ridiculously uncanny like that... of course our guys wore the same shoes! Too funny... when are you planning to renew your vows? Woodland is best for sure! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww, thanks luv, and you guys are the cutest x10.. take that! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon, thanks!  Looks a like a happy anniversary is due you soon too! cheers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, we have been married for 4 years and gabe keeps saying 5, but alas this seems too soon, and i really want all of my children to be there, and i'm not done having babies, so i'm shooting for our 15th anniversary re-newing. ahhhh, it makes me cry just thinking about it (hopeless romantic!)  if the universe is on my side my 2 boys will walk me down the isle, and my next two babes will be girls and they'll be my flower girls.... though i have a feeling i'll have two guys on each arm, which of course would be lovely too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!