11.01.2013

The best sound...

Yes, this was the snowy view we had outside our friend's cottage/home last weekend.
Snow.
We were just 40mins north of our city.. currently being soaked in rain/high winds.
But it was a beautiful sight.

It also reflects a beautiful sound to me.
Silence.

I don't know about you, maybe it's just the stage of life we're in now (cough:insert - laughing/shrieking/singing/hollering kids.all.day) but I am such a big fan of silence.

It's the best therapy.
The quickest comfort.
A salve to the soul.

It's also what keeps convincing my man and I that we are made for 'country living' in our future.
Away from the noises of industry, traffic... motorcycles with mufflers from Hades.

Silence.
Do you love it?
Does it frighten you?
I know our culture loves to keep you entertained/distracted... from that moment where you can actually hear your own thoughts.
Or, as this comedian put it rather profoundly (though crassly, for some) we even may run from this silence/solitude.

When you look at your day - do you make time for silence?
Or, is the radio alarm clock playing in the morning, radio in the car, noise of the day.. and then T.V all evening?

Silence, it's a beautiful thing.
Even if it can feel like a torturous beast sometimes.. it's worth taming.
I'm learning how vital rich times of silence are for my soul.
Being still, resting in the presence of my Maker.

Savouring,
Mel ;o)

5 comments:

  1. Mmm... Love this! Quiet is needed for this mama too-- and there is nothing like the quiet of the falling snow. I love the sound of it;)!!! Beautifully written ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of west virginia. i love when we visit and i love the sound of winter. silence. and i always try to make time for it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..bet you wish you could put it in a jar and bring it home to the 'heat' eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..isn't it? Love a good snow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!