4.23.2013

thrifty & nifty threads: upcycled fashion.#18.

Well hey there lovelies!
I'm back with another edition of taking something thrifty and sewing it into something nifty.
I'm still working on some new spring fashion to wear... and this piece caught my attention.
(Oh, and I'm also needing to work on that ghostly pallor of my skin... sorry to blind you!)

 Much like that polka dot dress I discovered in my fabric stash, this green button-up shirt was mashed in there too.  I always liked the style of this shirt, just not the length (it barely made it to my waist).  So, since belly-tops just aren't my thing... I opted to chop it and then lengthen it big time!

 (Sorry for no 'before' shot... I sewed this project at night!)
You get the idea though, I just cut the bottom half off the shirt - leaving the buttons/edge in place.
I then attached the lighter floral fabric to the shirt, while using that lovely green lace to hide my seams.  Sneaky sewing suits me best.

Annnnnd, in a final stroke of upcycling *genius*, I used the leftover green fabric to make large front pockets and accent edging around the bottom of the shirt.
I then sat back and wondered why/how I never thought to do this before! (Face-palm).

Oh, and the awkward cat picture.
Yah, I don't know what's going on there either.

Needless to say, I'm now hunting through my wardrobe to see what other shirts I can hack and customise like this one.
Hope it inspires you to upcycle too!

Creatively yours,
Mel ;o)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, that's pretty cute! I wish I took more time to make/ chop and sew clothes...
    Maybe I should bring my sewing machine when I come and visit :) I think I'll be in your area in the first few weeks of May, possibly the long weekend.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're too busy sewing fun sasquatches and furbies and gifts I think... ?! ;o) lol
    Oooh sewing party would be fun.. just not sure we'll be here if you mean Mother's day weekend.... keep me posted! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you for the creative cue. I'm loonng waisted and always shortening dresses. I'm excited to transform using your techniquic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pleasure ~ happy sewing there! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!