4.16.2013

D.I.Y: doily + painted feathers dreamcatcher.

 Oh yes lovelies... you just know I had to make this beauty now didn't you?
What with my affection for doilies... and painted feathers... it was only a matter of time.
It's actually a very simple approach to this gorgeous 'dreamcatcher' inspiration.

So here's how I whipped up the project:
 Supplies
+ large doily
+ embroidery hoop
+ ribbon (yarn, string, lace)
+ beads
+ canvas material
+ vinyl/leather
+ paint colours
+ glue

 Step 1: Sketch out the feathers on to canvas.  Paint the tips in complimentary colours of your choosing. (You're welcome to trace my designs here if you'd like).

Step 2: Cut feathers out with matching vinyl/leather material for the backing.

 Step 3: Insert your ribbon on the inside of the vinyl and coat with glue - pressing the feather design on top to seal it in. (Sewing the pieces together is also an option).

Step 4: String as many beads as you like on to the ribbon.. and hang from the outer hoop.

Step 5: Stretch doily across the embroidery hoop. Tighten. Trim. Glue around back edge of hoop.
Voila!
A creative and delicate delight to hang in your nest!

Creatively yours,
Mel ;o)

7 comments:

  1. Claudia Guerreiro16 April 2013 at 07:57

    came out great. i have been wanting to do the same with a doily i have and some small wooden painted feathers i bought a while ago at anthro but i need a hoop! happy tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gypsy in Jasper16 April 2013 at 10:50

    Gorgeous! What a simple, but beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...simple, and beautiful - much like myself.. muahahahahha! I mean, thanks friend! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you were - my twin! lol.. I wish I could run you over one of my hoarded hoop stash! Hope you find one soon and craft it up there ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady, you continue to amaze me!!
    I just can't even understand how you find time to craft AND blog and run after two little people!
    This little project is lovely! I do hart dreamcatchers. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola Rothmann17 April 2013 at 01:32

    Just so beautiful.
    I can see, by the beautiful things you create, you have a beautiful soul.
    L&L

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to buy one mama..lmk k love xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!