Yes friends, for the 'price of rice' you too, can have an upcycled messenger bag.
I wanted to make my guy Ben a new haversack.
(For as long as I've known him.. he's always wearing one to carry his gear around in).
They've been lost, stolen.. lost again.. so this time I wanted to keep it 'thrifty'.
So I, being such a
hoarder environmentally conscious person... opted to upcycle:
1. Fold an empty burlap rice bag (zippered top 1/3 downward).
2. Slice across one side of the inner part of the bag. (this is the interior opening).
3. Fold a spare piece of canvas to line this interior section.. sew up the sides.
4. Insert canvas pocket into the sliced opening... fold canvas edge over the split opening of the burlap bag and sew in place. (Make sure you've sewn closed the slice that opened the top third of your bag).
5. Slice two small holes on the back of the bag for both ends of a strap to be inserted into and sewn securely.
As you can see.. that top flap become a secret pocket with the pre-existing zipper of the rice bag.
Another 'super fast. stupid easy' upcycling project.
You may recall that one way to 'use up' a lot of rice - if you're eager to just sew these bags now - is a toddler's play station. Our daughter still loves using hers!
Happy upcycling, friends!