6.21.2012

thrifty & nifty threads: upcycled fashion #5

 Hi friends!
Here's another edition of taking some thrifted old threads and upcycling them into something nifty.  Today it's a light lace top for summer.
Lately this hot.humid weather is feeling like a bear hug from a sweaty sumo wrestler...ick.
I was looking for something easy.breezy. to stitch and wear.

 Two vintage lace squares (scarves?) would do the trick.
Here's a peek at this fast and frugal project: 

 Place the lace squares together (facing in) and run a stitch up the sides, as well as the shoulders.  Leave room for armholes and your head!
Now you knew I'd have to include doilies too, didn't you?  I cut out a couple lil' darlings to add a finishing touch to the shirt here:

 You can gather the shoulder area with that fancy term called a basting stitch, and sew secure afterwards.  I used the doilies as belt loops on the side hip area of the shirt.  Cute, right?!

This was a fun. simple. sewing project for even a hack like me, hope it inspires you to beat the heat too.  Imagine using all sorts of colourful thrifted scarves for these tops?!

Happy upcycling friends,

the doily diva,
Mel ;o)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.  You can catch up on the previous episodes here

P.P.S.. this is your LAST day to enter the GIVEAWAY ---------->>

16 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Mel! You are so creative :) I am definitely going to make time to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!! I wish I was so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3.  thanks Carly!!  It really is such a simple sewing project.. hope you can beat your machine into submission with it! ;o)  xo

    ReplyDelete
  4.  Hey thanks Erika!  Would love to see it if you do... bet it would look great with that lovely white hat of yours! ;o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely adore your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6.  awww, thank you so much! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really quite cute!  I just started following you.  Looking forward to it!
    Thanks so much,
    Trish

    www.jelly-bones.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Hi Trish! Nice to meet you, and welcome to the Nest... hope you enjoy yourself here! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my_girl_thursday22 June 2012 at 21:29

    Great project Mel!  It suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute shirt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thats pretty, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  13.  You gotta love the 'upcycling' projects when they actually work out pretty swell.. I know I do! thanks Agy! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14.  Thank you Sarah - appreciate you stopping by the nest here!

    ReplyDelete
  15.  Thanks Andrea.. totally cute to make for our girls too I figure... with the smaller handkerchief types eh? xo

    ReplyDelete
  16.  Aw Chantilly, thanks so much.... you know me and my doily obsession. ;o)  Miss you face... we'll need to plan another greasy spoon date with the girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!