If you're anything like me, you may have an affinity for the 'infinity style' scarf (a glorified loop of fabric). I've been plotting the use of a t-shirt and my love of lace into such a creation... and this look on pinterest got me more motivated! If you want to make my quick.easy version by upcycling a t-shirt & lace... here's a wee tutorial for you:
1. Grab yourself a t-shirt and about a 2' long strip of lace.
2. Now you're going to cut a large square out of the body of your t-shirt (front & back).
3. Fold down the length of the shirt and then cut (making 4 long strips).
4. I cut the t-shirt to the size of the lace strip (7"x22").
5. Lay your lace onto the right side of one t-shirt strip.
Facing all the t-shirt 'right sides' together, then stitch the edge on your sewing machine to attach all the pieces together.
I found using only 3 of the 4 t-shirt strips to be plenty long enough for the loop.
(You want to be able to hang it from the top of your head down to your belly button)
And voila! The great thing about t-shirt material is you don't have to hem the edges.. just stretch the shirt so it curls the edge under. This also makes the scarf long enough to wrap around my neck three times for a snug look.
For an other approach:
Use three strips of t-shirt (seen here in cream colour).. and two thick bands of lace.
Hope you found that helpful to inspire a do.it.yourself thrifty version of the infinity scarf!