5.24.2011

D.I.Y upcycle shirt into toddler vest/dress!




Here's the next do it yerself edition.  I like these projects because they are fast.simple.upcycling.fun!  Yes, in the time it takes for your lil' one to have a nap.. you will have whipped off a sweet new dress.vest.outfit for them.  This tutorial is a response to one of my past posts seen here [I just need to create a photo instructional] seen now:

Grab a funky shirt.sweater. or cardigan from your local thrift store.  This unique shirt was only $1 at our Y's Buys.  Or.. raid your closet for 'cut-me-downs'.



Yes.. that old shirt will become this sweet dress / vest thing... I promise.  However, I can't guarantee your lil' one will look quite as adorable as seen here [but I may be biased] ;o) 


Ok, here we go!  Grab a shirt that currently fits your kid well.  Place over larger shirt... and cut to size [leave an extra 1.5" for seam allowance].  You'll likely have to trim off the bottom of the shirt too for 'vest' styles.  I left mine longer to act like a 'dress' option.

Flip cut shirt inside out and pin the arm holes [to sew an edge around arm].  Yes this is exactly what I was referring to in my post about cat-attraction to my projects... sheesh!
Anyway, once the arm holes are sewn, pin down the side seams and sew shirt along both edges.  Fancy folks would be 'serging' during these steps... [jealous!].


This step is optional, but I chose to add some extra sweetness by sewing in a lace belt.  You would simply put one strip inside across the 'back' of shirt [while shirt still faces inward] and then cut two other strips to tie at the front.  So easy... even I can do this!


Now your lil' one can have a unique custom outfit.  Thereby being the rival of everyone else in the sandbox with their "Dora" and "Elmo" manufactured shirts. ;o) 
Yes, dress them wild. Dress them weird. Start young.. that's our motto.  Ok, not quite, but I still love seeing her run around in what I whipped off for her.

Happy upcycling!
Please post pictures or links of what you come up with too, I'd love to see it!

Mel :o)

*Remember.. now there's only 4 days left to enter my birthday giveaway contest!  You can enter here.


6 comments:

  1. Hi there Steph,
    Thanks, glad you liked it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up at Small Style! :)

    This is such a fabulous project. I LOVE it! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks a lot, I'm thrilled to be linking up with you guys.. and will do a better 'official' job of it next time ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this project is so cool! I'm thinking I might want to try my hand at it, though I don't have a sewing machine, so it might be a bit problematic. Anyway, too cute, and my favourite part is that the cat is claiming your workspace as his territory. Ours do exactly the same! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha.. cats.  Thanks for stopping in... and solving the mystery of who reads my blog from Japan!! hehe.. good luck finding a sewing machine too :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!